Monday, November 3, 2008

The Universe Meets You Where You Are!

LIVE LARGER proclaimed a billboard as I drove up La Cienega blvd the other day.

On Santa Monica Blvd, on an oatmeal colored awning, the name of a hair salon: TRUST!

***
We are on a need to know basis with the universe. Anything we need to learn, we will learn as we need to learn it. Like learning to grow past an old habit--sometimes it is the little things in daily life that show us just what shape that growth must take. This afternoon as I was driving to Marina del Rey, the nose of an orange hot-rod lurched into traffic, narrowly missing my car. I gestured at the driver angrily. He shot me a dazzling smile, his bulging tattoed arm gesturing for my understanding. He was so happy, having such a great day -- and there I was scowling at him for pulling into my lane without properly announcing himself. Then another car pulled ahead of me and the bumper sticker said everything: Honk, if you are a dummkopff! I laughed out loud.

My German music teacher in high school (a loooong time ago) used to use words like dummkopff to remind us that we were taking ourselves way too seriously. Why did I want to waste even one more second scowling and sending any negative energy outward? What a dummkopff I was, indeed! My scowling raised my heart rate and made me rush with adrenaline and perpetuated an old habit -- my mind worked overtime with judgments when I wasn't present to the moment, and when I was triggered by fear! How fascinating!

If I had been more in the moment, more in my heart, I might have slowed to meet him. I might have even been gentle, forgiving, understanding, sweet. I might have even matched his dazzling smile. But I wasn't 'there' -- I was off in thinking-worry land. That guy actually probably did me a favor -- and it is only now that I can see it. He got me to be present, present to the perfection of the moment where all abundance is - and I could be grateful to him for that! I could also be grateful that nothing happened. Our cars were safe, we were safe, others were safe. The day continued to unfold like a bolt of brilliant shining cloth.

The universe always meets us where we are. If we spend our time grumbling in judgment about the way something happened, the universe will keep our world as small and contracted as the fear to which we are wedded. If we drop the judgment and give others (and ourselves) the benefit of the doubt, we will find bigger miracles await. Like the driver in the limo a couple of hours later who gave me the right of way -- stopped in the middle of the road, kept other traffic waiting and let my car in. I had nosed out into traffic after getting gas and had not really signalled (ah hem..what orange hot rod had I judged earlier for the same behavior!) and the driver of the limo smiled at me and generously let me in. Grace in the little things is Grace in the big things.

Everything is the way it is for a reason. Everything that happens has a destiny to it. It is part of our unfolding growth. When we are willing to grow, to look kindly at something we do and be willing to soften, open, feed the meter of the realm with coins of appreciation, love, kindness, gentleness, forgiveness, generosity rather than fear, doubt, judgment, anger and worry, the universe meets us there...with bells on.

No comments: